IV VITAMINS & HYDRATION
What is VitaminB12 and what does it do?
Vitamin B12 is a Nutrient the helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in al cells. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent a type of anaemia called megaloblastic anaemia which makes people tired and weak.
Which foods provide Vitamin B12?
- Beef, liver and clams, are recognised as the best sources of B12
- Fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk and other dairy products
- Breakfast cereals may be fortified with B12
Am I at risk of low levels of Vitamin B12?
According to NIH.gov data vitamin B12 deficiency affects between 1.5%-15% of the public.
GROUPS AT RISK OF VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY:
- People who eat little or no animal foods such as Vegetarians and Vegans. Only Animal foods have vitamin B12 naturally (some cereals may be fortified with B12)
- People who have had Gastrointestinal surgery, or have digestive disorders, such as Coeliac Disease, Crohn’s Disease,Ulcerative
- Colitis or even IBS. (less B12 absorbed)
- People taking Ant-acid medications (reduces the acid required to absorb B12)
- Many older adults who do not have enough hydrochloric acid in their stomach to absorb the vitamin B12 from their food.
- People with Pernicious Anaemia whose bodies do not make intrinsic factor needed to absorb B12.
SIGNS OF VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY MAY INCLUDE SOME OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Tiredness, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite, weight loss
- Numbness and tingling the hands and feet
- Problems with balance
- Depression, confusion, dementia, poor memory
- Soreness of the mouth or tongue
- Megaloblastic Anaemia
- Nervous system damage can occur even if no Anaemia present
If you are worried please ask your Doctor to perform a blood test for B12 levels.
MULTIVITAMIN IV INTRAVENOUS INFUSIONS
HIGH POTENCY MULTIVITAMIN INFUSION:
Pure-Cosmedical has selected a High Potency Multivitamin Infusion based on select ingredients that have been safely used in the NHS (& Dr Andrew Mottram) for many years.
The Multivitamin infusion details are all listed below.
What are the ingredients of the High Potency Multivitamin Infusion?
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Hydrochloride)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin as phosphate sodium)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
- Vitamin B3 = Nicotinamide
- Glucose (as monohydrate )
- Minor ingredients = Eidetic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide and Water for injections.
What is the High Potency Multivitamin Infusion used for?
The infusion is used to correct deficiencies that may have occurred in the above list of Vitamins.
Deficiency of these vitamins often occur in people:
- After an infection
- After surgery
- Through an unbalanced diet (Malnutrition)
- Through Malabsorption of water soluble vitamins B & C
- Excessive alcohol intake (reduces absorption of vitamins)
- People requiring Haemodyalysis.
- Helps the body’s cells change carbohydrate into energy
- Especially important in keeping brain and nervous system healthy
- Also plays a role in muscle contraction and conduction of nerve signals
What are the signs and symptoms of Vitamin B1 deficiency?
- Nerve Damage
- Brain damage in severe cases
Thiamine deficiency is most often seen in people who abuse alcohol. A lo of alcohol makes it difficult for the body to absorb thiamine Vit B1 from foods.
Vit B1 (Thiamine) is know to be effective for treating some metabolic disorders with genetic diseases. Also for simple Thiamine deficiency and as documented the sever brain disorder due to thiamine deficiency (Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome)
Research also shows it may also be effective for reducing the risk of Cataracts, also in treating kidney disease in people with diabetes, and early research suggests that taking thiamine for 90 days stops pain associated with menstruation in girls 12-21 years old. (medlineplus.gov)
- It is important for body growth
- It helps in Red Blood Cell production
- It aids the release of energy from proteins
What are the signs and symptoms of Vitamin B2 deficiency?
- Mouth or lip sores
- Skin complaints
- Sore throat
- Swelling of mucous membranes
Vitamin B3 helps by:
Producing energy from food (sugars & fats)
Keeps Skin, Nerves & Digestive system healthy
Preliminary studies suggest a type a Vit B3 (nicotinamide) may improve Osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms and reduce the need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) by suppressing inflammation.
Researchers have discovered that Nicotinamide ribosome, a form of Vitamin B3, may boost energy levels in nerve cells and help prevent them being lost in Parkinson’s.
What are some of the signs and symptoms of Vitamin B3 deficiency?
- Skin rash (thick and scaly on sun exposed to sunlight)
- Swollen mouth and bright red tongue
- Vomiting & Diarrhoea
- Memory loss
Vitamin B6 helps the body to:
- Make Antibodies required to fight infection and diseases
- Maintain normal nerve function
- Make haemoglobin which carries oxygen in the red cells to the tissues
- Break down proteins. The more protein eaten the more B6 required.
- Helps to keep blood sugar (glucose) in normal ranges.
What are some of the signs and symptoms of Vitamin B6 deficiency?
- Skin rashes (seborrhoeic dermatitis)
- Cracked sore lips,
- Sore Glossy tongue (glossitis)
- Mood changes (depression, anxiety, irritability and increased feelings of pain) (pubmed)
- Weakened Immune Function
- Tiredness and low Energy
- Tingling in Hands and Feet (Peripheral Neuropathy)
Vitamin C is essential for growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is used to:
- Form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels
- Heal wounds and form scar tissue
- Repair and maintain cartilage, bones and teeth
- Aid in Resorption of Iron
Vitamin C is a strong Antioxidant. Antioxidants are nutrients that block some of the damage caused by free radicals.
- Free radicals are made when your body breaks down food or when you are exposed to tobacco smoke or radiation.
- Free radical buildup over time is largely responsible for the ageing process.
- Free radicals may play a role in cancer, heart disease and conditions like arthritis.
What are the signs and symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency?
- Bleeding Gums
- Deceased ability to fight infection
- Decreased wound-healing rate
- Dry and splitting hair
- Easy Bruising
- Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
- Possible weight gain because of slowed metabolism rough, dry , scaly skin
- Swollen and painful joints
- Weakened tooth enamel
(A severe form of vitamin C deficiency is known as scurvy)
IV INFUSION FOR REHYDRATION (HARTMANN’S):
This medicine is used to replace and balance body fluid and mineral salts that may be lost for a variety of medical reasons and also as an energy source.
WHAT IS HARTMANN’S SOLUTION?
Hartmann’s is a solution of several salts dissolved in water for the purpose of creating an isotonic solution relative to the body fluids.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS OF HARTMANN’S INCLUDE:
- Sodium Chloride
- Potassium Chloride
- Calcium Chloride and
- Sodium Lactate
WHEN AND HOW IS IT GIVEN?
A Hartmann’s IV infusion may be given after a thorough history and examination by your Doctor or Nurse. Once it is considered safe to proceed a cannula (administration needle) is placed in a vein. This cannula then enables your health professional to administer the fluid infusion at a slow rate of injection using a drip.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTED BENEFITS?
Patients should expect to feel well hydrated after this careful correction of volume deletion or dehydration. As this solution is designed to be isotonic relative to bodily fluids this enables replacement of some of the body’s vital salts in a balanced way while minimising side-effects.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE-EFFECTS?
As with any injection or infusion there is a potential for some minor temporary side-effects such as minimal bruising, swelling and irritation. This will all be discussed during your consent process. Careful patient selection based on a medical history will avoid most unwanted side-effects. Any patients with heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease or other contraindication will be identified during the history taking & consent process and advised against it.